with Team BUGS
MRSA is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, bacteria that has become resistant to some antibiotics, including one called methicillin.
The bacteria can be found on the skin and in the noses of many healthy people, who are called carriers. In the community, MRSA can cause infections, such as an infected cut. But the biggest danger from MRSA is within healthcare facilities, where patients are already sick and may not be able to fight off an infection.Because there are many patients in facilities like acute care and chronic care hospitals, and staff and visitors are coming and going throughout the day and night, the bacteria can be spread quickly if proper precautions are not taken.
As with many infection-causing bacteria, MRSA is spread through direct physical contact (touching) or from a surface that has the MRSA bacteria. For example, if you carry MRSA and it is on your hand, when you touch the doorknob, the MRSA stays on the doorknob for quite a while, contaminating anyone else who touches it. MRSA can also be spread through contaminated body fluids.
You can lower your risk of developing an infection from MRSA by taking the usual precautions: frequent and thorough hand washing, not sharing personal items, like razors or towels, keeping cuts and scrapes clean.
If you think you have developed an infection, see your healthcare provider so you can be assessed and given antibiotics if they are called for. If the infection is caused by MRSA, there are other antibiotics that may treat it. The important part is to get diagnosed and treated as early as possible before the infection can spread.
Symptoms of a wound that has become infected are: redness around the area, swelling, pain, feeling of warmth around the area, drainage and fever.
TAKE NO INFECTION LIGHTLY !